St Michael's Bereavement Suppor Group
For this months meeting we were given a talk by INA BUSHELL entitled “PARKGATE SEA WALL”. The history of Parkgate sea wall was researched by the History Society from the time Parkgate first appeared on a Maritime chart in 1689, one of the first pictorial records can be seen in the Willianson Art Gallery dating back to 1791. Parkgate originally had no sea wall until the Mostyn family who owned the land fronting onto the seafront negotiated with the Chester City Council to purchase the sand stone used to build the old original Quay. With this stone in 1900 they built the current sea wall from the Old Quay pub down to the Watch House. Then the marsh did not exist and it was all sand and tidal. The wall was built and in places 15ft deep from the top of the wall down to the sands, with a slope which can still be seen in places but not to its full depth. This made the sea front an attractive place for visitors as it is today. Eventually the main channel was altered to divert the flow of the river more to the Welsh side to get the main shipping back up to Chester.
It was also interesting to find out that at one stage there were up to 8 Boarding Schools along the front at Parkgate as the Mostyn family were very business orientated, holding all the leasehold on Parkgate. The other interesting thing was that what is known as the Balcony House was once a Theatre. Eventually the Mostyn family sold up at Parkgate as it became less profitable for them and moved on to Llandudno and purchased the land between the Great and Little Ormes where they then built up the seafront and Promenade as we know it today but again all the seafront was on a Leasehold basis to ensure their future survival.
Our next meeting is on MONDAY 111thMarch.